Tuesday, May 12, 2009

1960's Knox (Teisco) Small Pickguard 2 Pickup Electric

It is a unknown Knox model 2 pickup Electric Guitar from the 1960's with 2 goldfoil pickups. I have a second Knox guitar that is very similar to this one but with a much larger pickguard. The prize on this guitar is the goldfoil pickups and I've already used them for another project.

The Teisco brand name stands for 'Tokyo Electric Instrument and Sound Company'. Teisco was founded in 1946 by renowned Hawaiian and Spanish guitarist Atswo Kaneko, and electrical engineer Doryu Matsuda. Teisco guitars sold in the United States were badged "Teisco Del Rey" beginning in 1964. Teisco guitars were also imported in the U.S. under several brand names including Silvertone, Jedson, Kent, Kingston, Kimberly, Tulio, Heit Deluxe and World Teisco. While guitars manufactured by Teisco were ubiquitous in their day, they are now very collectable.

0a4e_1

0b8f_1

0ac7_1

0b27_1

This guitar will be sold on ebay soon. Check my about me page for the ebay listing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first electric, in 1964, was this guitar with a "Rodeo" foil oval on the headstock. $36 brand new. The metal in the whammy bar was so weak that I bent it off almost instantly. Everything on the guitar in your picture is stock, just missing the tailpiece clam.

Unknown said...

Hi, I've a similar one, how can I find out more? How did the auction go?

Anonymous said...

...Wow! I JUST bought this electric guitar from a pawn shop for 37 dollars. I could instantly tell it was a 60's guitar, so I had to have a closer look. Mine has the tailpiece clam, but it was missing the whammy bar, so my dad built me one. It didn't even work, at all. A good cleaning fixed that though, it now works perfectly. Now it's fun little piece of history.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails